Tuesday, February 14, 2017

"On the Run" Audiobook + Ebook Reading List 2017

I am a reading fanatic. It is the one daily habit that has stuck with me since I first learned to read "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss in first grade and something I have continued to enjoy each year forward. Since the taking up of running this last year (along with my side cleaning business here on Oahu) I have just recently begun to also enjoy the world of audiobooks...and like most of the things my mind wants to pursue- it has pursued audiobooks with a passion second-to-none!

Most thankfully, our library system here on Oahu has a wide selection of free audiobooks that are available for "rent" from their online OverDrive system. And with one click of a download to the iPad mini or smartphone you can have audiobooks streaming beautifully along in your ear. Most library systems are upgrading to Overdrive, so be sure to check out if Overdrive or something similar is available to you via your library card number on the library's website.


Another wonderful thing about increasing your sense of learning through hearing is that it seems to make you a better listener overall. Mainly to people and most assuredly to animals. The more you listen, the less you talk. And less you talk, the more the brain seems to really take in...

The running list below was compiled from a variety of different websites that I Googled to find the "best books on running for runners". Many of these books I chose for my list tended to appear in the top 15 of each list (Born to Run was the overall favorite on most!). I tended to overlook the books on running history or related to a particular college or school as this does not fit my purpose. What I wanted most when scanning these lists was to get into the runner's mind and to learn how best to run if I were to coach someone through this process in the future.

Chrystal recommended the first book to me on the list from among her favorites read on injury prevention and running gait mechanics. It is currently on its way from Amazon to my doorstep. Thank you sister!

I have composed a list of the titles that my library has on audiobook, the ones they have on ebook, and the ones I will by scouring thrift stores and Amazon for (if I did not mention previously...I also love to look at the numbers of habits...how much financial investment does one year of exploring the idea of running, the training process, and the actual event do one in for- and are these numbers sustainable for the long-term habit goer). So we will be keeping track of financial purchases on the subject of running as well.

I have included the books that I posted on as previously read as I found all of them for free on audiobook and will be reading them again. See notes below.

Injury-Free Running by Dr. Thomas C. Michaud
Purchased: Amazon, $9.50 + $3.99 S&H= $13.49


Born to Run by Christopher McDougal
Audiobook: Rent, free
1st READ: April 2015
*REREAD


What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami
Audiobook: Rent, free
1st Read: August 2016
*REREAD


Chi Running by Danny Dreyer
Audiobook: Rent, free
1st Read: November 2016
REREAD


My Year of Running Dangerously By Tom Foreman
Audiobook: rent, free
Read: February 12, 2017


Run the World by Becky Wade
Audiobook: rent, free


Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn
Audiobook: rent, free


Eat & Run by Scott Jurek
Ebook: rent, free


Ready to Run by Kelly Starrett
Amazon: to purchase, $22.13 + $3.99 S&H


Running with the Mind of Meditation by Sakyong Mipham
Ebook: rent, free


Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron
Ebook: rent, free


Once a Runner by John L. Parker, Jr.
Amazon: to purchase $10.44 + $3.99 S&H


Anatomy Trains by Thomas W. Meyers
Own: purchased on Amazon $50.00


Thrive by Brendan Brazier
Amazon: to purchase, $1.83 + $3.99 S&H



*Note: this list may change, update or increase as needed. Calling all runners: let me know your faves! 


Much Love,

AJ




No comments:

Post a Comment