Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Vegan Trial #1
Other than having the flu virus for the last 3 weeks which delayed my education in veganism, I have learned a tremendous amount about the vegan-style way of life. According to the International Vegetarian Union, "a vegan diet includes avoiding all animal products and their derivatives such as milk or milk powder, eggs, butter and honey" ( http://www.livestrong.com/article/185769-which-brands-of-bread-are-vegan/).
See link for "My First Vegan Grocery List" which is very helpful for starting Vegan-ers: http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/first-vegan-grocery-list.html
Foods in the "go":
1. All fresh fruit
2. All fresh vegetables
3. Whole wheat grains (must check! A lot of brands DO contain animal products)
4. Brown rice, pastas (egg-free: whole-wheat, spinach, rice, artichoke, tomato, etc.), sweet potatoes, quinoa, barley, millet, buckwheat, rye, etc. (still exploring here)
6. Nuts & seeds (nut butters, flaxseed, chia, etc.)
7. Soybeans/soy substitutes
8. Water, water, water, water, water, infinity symbol!
9. Almond, coconut, soy, rice, oat milk
10. Earth Balance margarine
11. Vegenaise Mayo
12. Boca, Tofurky, Trader Joe's, Quorn, Luna Bars (still looking for more meal replacement products!)
13. Any food strictly labeled "vegan"
14. Olive oil
15. Some high fiber cereals (Kashi)
16. Tempeh (a cake-like soy-based product originally from Indonesia- still on the "to try" list)
17. Vegan supplements: B12, Vitamin D, possibly Calcium (easy to get through dark veggies and food)
18. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (1-3 Tbsp/day in 6 oz of warm water)
Interesting items that are NOT vegan:
1. Gelatin: Supplements that contain a gelatin capsule (made from animals)- must specify "vegan" on label
2. Honey: Bees= animals! Watch out for products that seem vegan, but contain this sweet source of animal product (my favorite almond honey butter :(- use Madhava Light Agave Nectar as a helpful substitute
3. Most alcohols (use http://www.barnivore.com/# to search vegan beer, wine, liquor- Yay! All Menage a Trois reds= vegan friendly :)
4. Chocolate...milk :)...sorry.
1. BCAA's (branch-chained amino acids- although most are made in a lab, these are the building blocks of animal protein...hmmm)
Recent Vegan Foods I have tried from Whole Foods:
1. Vegan Iron Supplement (5 out of 5 stars)
2. RAW Meal Replacement (1 out of 5 stars...soooo gritty)
3. Ak Mak Sesame Crackers + Hummus (5 out of 5 stars)
4. Tofurky (0 out of 5 stars...never happening again)
5. Go Veggie! Cheese substitute (3 out of 5 stars...we can find something better!)
6. Madhava Light Agave Nectar (5 our of 5 stars!)
7. Linwoods Ground Flaxseed, Cocoa, Strawberries & Blueberries (4 out of 5...yum!)
8. Barlean's Organic Cold-Pressed Flaxseed Oil (many flavors!) (5 out of 5)
9. Starfruit (4 out of 5 stars)
10. Organic Bananas (5 out of 5 stars- one food I will never buy not-organic again!)
11. Fresh Ground Almond Butter (5 out of 5 stars)
12. Hemp Seeds (4 out of 5 stars- even good to just snack on!)
Let the games continue!
P.S. My mother and father have been eating vegan for the past 10 days have seen their blood pressure return to normal, 8-10 lbs of weight loss, and energy level improvements. Check it out!